Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I don't really have anything to say

I've been thinking lately that it's been an awfully long time since I've felt like I had anything clever to write.  This blog has kind of suffered in the last couple of years.  I used to think I was a clever writer, but then I married Justin, who is an exquisite writer, so I don't write very much anymore because I'd much rather he wrote about things.  It's much more entertaining to read from his perspective, as I'm sure you'll all agree.  However, since he's so busy and I want to keep this blog relatively updated, I'm afraid you're stuck reading my thoughts for the time being.

Winter is fast approaching here in Illinois.  I'm actually getting fairly nervous about it.  Probably because everyone keeps warning us about it and because Justin is so worried that I don't really have any warm winter coats and he knows I hate the cold.  No, dislike.  Hate is a very strong word (I'm fully intending to learn to embrace the cold while we're here).  I have a ton of beautiful jackets, but none of them are very warm.  I'm waiting to see what everyone else wears and talk to people about what keeps them the most warm, then I'll go to some thrift shop (of which there are many) and find something.  It's only September and we're already wearing socks and sweaters around the house all day.  We turned the heater on in Louise's room, but we've resisted everywhere else (although I'll admit to preheating the oven a couple of times a day to warm my hands..shh!).

Louise is absolutely delightful.  She is getting to be such a character.  She's got a quirky little sense of humor already and laughs at funny (as in peculiar) things.  When we read Goodnight, Gorilla (her current favorite), she giggles every time we get to the page when they're all in bed, like she knows what's going on.  Maybe she does. :)  I love it.  She is such a great eater.  Not at all like her mother.  I'm so relieved.  She eats almost everything we eat.  We eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning, then we have a sit down lunch as a family after Justin gets home from work since he has class in the evenings.  A couple of weeks ago we had spaghetti and a big salad and she ate everything we put in front of her.  The salad had romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, boiled eggs, weird mayonnaise/vinegar dressing, and celery.  She is getting so close to walking.  We're just a crutch for her now.  She can totally walk on her own, she just doesn't want to.  She's done it a few times when she is distracted and doesn't realize what she was doing, but as soon as she notices she sits down and pouts.  She sleeps 12 to 14 hours straight every night, and has since we got here and she had her own room.  It's wonderful.  She's so beautiful.  She still hates being in her carseat, and now hates being in the stroller after about 20 minutes.  I don't know what to try next.  

Justin and I got a family membership to the YMCA.  We've been going every day and we've developed a love-hate relationship with it.  We love going to work out and feeling so great afterward, but for the past week we've both been walking very gingerly and moaning every time we have to bend or sit.  We're both really excited about the prospect of getting back into shape.  Justin created a whole workout routine that he's been doing and I go to different classes every day.  Pilates, Zumba, Body Shaping, Zumba again, then Body Shaping again.  Then we just swim with Louise on Saturdays.  The family membership includes 2 hours of free babysitting each day while the parents work out, so we've been doing that with Louise.  She loves it.  She loves all of the new toys and especially playing with the other kids.  She is such a social little girl, I feel bad that we don't do more with friends.  Louise picked up her first cold this week, and I'm sure she got it from the Y.  I've got it now, too.  We've been eating so healthy and going to bed really early since being here.  We feel great (besides this cold).  I'm really excited because some of my old ECCOCI clothes are finally starting to fit again.  Now that I'm not nursing anymore it's a lot easier to lose weight.  I can't wait. :)

I'm really trying to work on making friends.  I guess I've gotten out of practice since college.  I'm not really the pushy type, and I feel really uncomfortable inviting myself into groups and to things.  I'm also not very good with big groups of people (this is one result of being the youngest of the family), I'd much rather talk to people one-on-one so I can connect, but I guess I'll just have to figure out how to be.  I really need friends here if I want this to be successful.  Does anyone have any tips for me on how to get out there and make friends in a new place where everyone already has friends?  Any ideas would be welcome. :)

We unpacked the last box yesterday.  It was a great feeling. :)

I just looked back at the blog and realized we haven't posted any pictures since we moved, so I'm gonna quit writing and just do pictures.  Goodnight!  


             My friend Stephanie came to see me before we left.  
Our whole lives fit into 5 feet.
 My mom with Louise the day before we left.
 Louise on the trip.  As you can see, we were packed in there like sardines.
 The view from the end of our street.

Justin was spitting out a frozen grape and she LOVED it.  Enjoy. :)

 Louise after eating her crazy salad.  Now THAT is a satisfied baby. :)
 Louise and I at Lake Michigan.  
 A funky-fied leaf we found on a walk.
 L with our neighbor's baby.
 Playing in the sand.
 A crazy sand castle at the beach.  This person builds a different one every day.  They're amazing.
Louise's new cupboard.




4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear from you, Claire. :) I'm so glad that you're having such a great time there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were moving around with the military all the time, I learned that the best way to make friends was to get involved. I think you are on the right track with membership at the Y. If you don't have a calling in your ward soon, make sure you let your bishop know you want one and let your RS Pres. know you want to be a visiting teacher. I know that sometimes bishops were afraid to offer callings since they didn't know us. The church really is a great way to meet people, but I know you already know that. Look for other ways to volunteer in the community. I know with the military, I did alot with the family support group. That eventually led to my being in charge of that group and those skills were very applicable on a resume when I needed to find a job. Justin could also check out activities on campus. Most universities offer programs/activities for young families.

    Those are my suggestions. I am glad you are settled in (unpacked). It looks like you have found a beautiful area to live. You are right that you should buy winter clothing there and not have family here send you anything. When Rick went to Toronto on his mission, he was advised to buy a winter coat there, because it would be designed for that climate. Most of the moms in the Japan Mission Mom group have said that their sons have had to buy coats in Japan, because the coats bought here in Utah prior to leaving were not warm enough and I know Hunter bought a coat in Montana. So there is my two cents on that as well.

    Love the picture of Louise in the cupboard. I have one similar of Lela. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that laugh of hers is bedorable! Sounds like things are going well in Illinois, especially that part about ECCOCI clothes! ;) Take some pictures of you in those beautiful clothes. Miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really enjoy when you post claire :) your little gal is so cute!

    ReplyDelete